Give details about Sri Krishna Committee and Its Recommendations?
Ans: On 3rd February 2010, Srikrishna Committee was constituted to study the issue of Telangana.
President: Justice Sri Krishna.
Secretary: V.K. Dhuggal (Former secretary of Home Ministry).
Ravinder Kaur: Delhi IIT Professor.
Ranbir Singh – Nalsar founding director, V.C. to Delhi University.
Abuslae Shareef – Economist.
Committee was instructed to submit its report by 31st December 2010.
Suggestion by Srikrishna Committee:
Srikrishna Committee gave multiple options for this issue.
- It considered the movement as the simple law and order issue and suggested State
Government to tackle with a simple support from centre.
- Formation of Telangana State with Hyderabad as Union Territory.
- Formation of Royala Telangana with the merger of Rayalaseema and Telangana regions, Hyderabad as its capital.
- Separate Telangana with a larger Union Territory.
- Some places of Guntur, Kurnool, Nalgonda and Mahabubnagar should be merged in the Hyderabad union territory.
- Formation of Telangana State, Hyderabad as its capital.
- Andhrapradesh should be continued without any split, providing special constitutional safeguards to Telangana region.
- Srikrishna committee suggested to keep the 8th chapter of the report secret. Nizamabad ex Member of Parliament filed a case in court to reveal the content of Chapter 8. On 23rd March 2011, Andhrapradesh High Court Chief Justice L. Narsimha Reddy severely criticized the points in chapter 8, in his judgment. High Court ordered to reveal chapter 8. High Court division bench issued stay on this judgment.